Today no businesses can afford to have a static website. To stay competitive small businesses need to update their website regularly. If you are building a static website, you're lost before even you've begun. Don't waste your time and money, because static website gets outdated quickly in this information age. People wish to see fresh contents every time they visit your website.
That's why it's becoming crucial to have a dynamic website with easy to use content management system. So let's discuss about how to select a right Website Content Management System for your small business.
There are many choices, across a variety of different platforms. But before you select one for your website, please read through this important points:
- About Price, you can't beat open source for price because its free! But wait, because nothing is really free. Platform is available without charge but hiring someone with expertise to integrate it for your website does cost money. In some cases, the cost of configuration can be higher than purchasing a commercial CMS.
- In the case of open sources CMS, development is done by developer community. Since many people around the world can be involved in an open source project, many cutting edge features get included in popular CMS, you may not need. And such advanced features can be handled only by expert, you as small business owner its tough job.
- In the case of open source CMS, there is no official support or SLA. For example, if a specific bug is creating a problem, it will take time before that fix is released into the software. The open-source community has no obligation to respond to problems in a timely manner. Whereas in commercial CMS, the vendor is responsible for responding to bug fixes and feature requests.
- Stability and performance can be a problem with open source CMS. Since open source developers aren't always professional developers, security holes, bugs and lack of testing can lead to faulty software that can create serious issues. Commercial CMS providers, typically have their full-time team and professional developers supporting project.
- Last point but very important, learning curve. Commercial CMS providers typically have different on-boarding and hand holding training programs available for easy adoption. Open source CMS requires learning the product on your own or finding an expert.
As a small business owners now it's crucial for you to decide right platform for your website. Select such platform that will provide you complete control over your website. Easy to use CMS will allow you to update your website regularly on your own. Finally, ensure you have 24/7 support and handholding wheneever you required. It is critical for long-term online success.
To Summarize, no matter which you select : open or commercial CMS, it is best fit, as long as it serves the purpose and fulfils your objective and you get reliable support.