What’s the one thing besides the players that is most common during the IPL (Indian Premier League) season?
Owners? Glamour quotient?
Well, the answer to this question is advertisements.
IPL digital marketing has proven to be an immensely successful platform, reaching audiences through various channels such as billboards, players' jerseys, stumps, and promotional emails flooded with enticing discounts and offers for food and beverages. It has emerged as a highly effective means of engaging fans and driving promotional campaigns during the IPL season.
Why digital marketing benefits from the IPL
- Universal Appeal: The IPL's three-hour format captivates audiences of all age groups and diverse backgrounds, making it an attractive sporting spectacle for everyone.
- Strategic Scheduling: With matches scheduled in prime time slots on weekdays (now starting from 7:30 PM) and double-headers on weekends, the IPL offers a compelling sports experience that is worth the investment of both time and money.
- Emotional Engagement: Fans develop a deep emotional connection with the tournament, leading them to support and associate with brands endorsed by the IPL or their favorite teams. This emotional investment drives brand loyalty and consumer purchasing decisions.
- Empowering Lesser-Known Players: Commercial sponsorships provide vital financial support and resources to lesser-known players and cricket associations, enabling them to participate and compete on a larger scale.
- Profitable Product Placement: Leveraging various digital marketing strategies on platforms such as TV, social media, and other communication channels, product placement during the IPL season consistently generates favorable results and boosts brand visibility.
- Amplified Brand Exposure: Collaborations with cricketers and brand promotions on social media platforms during the IPL provide valuable audience exposure to multiple brands and their products, helping them reach a wider consumer base.
Brands that successfully leverage digital marketing during IPL to maximise profits
Dream 11 became the title sponsor of IPL 2020 after Chinese company Vivo stepped down as the official IPL partner due to tense India-China relations last year. This partnership proved fruitful, as the fantasy league brand surpassed 100 million registered users during the tournament. The Dream11's advertising efforts on platforms like Star Sports and Disney+Hotstar, along with digital marketing campaigns on social media, played a significant role in achieving this milestone.
Cred, the official IPL partner for the previous season, experienced a remarkable influx of 2.4 million new customers throughout the duration of the two-month IPL tournament. Their niche ads featuring Madhuri Dixit, Bappi Lahiri, Govinda, and Udit Narayan have raised the bar for creative excellence in the advertising industry. These ads effectively showcased the perfect blend of branding and marketing for a fintech brand. Additionally, Cred's Power Play campaign during the ongoing IPL has been a highly successful digital marketing strategy, further enhancing the brand's popularity. The concept of offering a chance to win 100% cashback on bill payments during the powerplay overs of the IPL has resonated well with audiences, driving engagement and increasing Cred's appeal among consumers.
Muthoot, a Kerala-based financial corporation, capitalized on the IPL 2020 season by launching a product placement digital marketing campaign as an official IPL endorser of RCB. Simultaneously, the company expanded its branch network in Northern and Eastern India, coinciding with the IPL marketing activities. By introducing interest-free gold loans during the tournament, Muthoot witnessed a significant 54% increase in brand awareness and consideration, successfully expanding its reach and engaging with a broader audience. Muthoot’s social media campaign of #SpiritofGold also was an audience engagement move that benefited the brand.
With substantial budgets at their disposal, promotional activities during the IPL are executed on a grand scale. Each team has its sponsors and advertisements meticulously planned and implemented. Teams like Kolkata Knight Riders, owned by Shah Rukh Khan, and Chennai Super Kings, led by Dhoni, have been highly proactive in terms of media visibility and popularity. Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore are not far behind either. Apart from traditional media, all teams actively engage with their audience through various social media platforms, showcasing highlights from previous seasons and remarkable performances by their players. Additionally, the opening ceremonies often feature actors and singers, drawing in large crowds and further amplifying the excitement surrounding the tournament.
Shimbi Growth Labs
The team that helps you grow your business!
Sign up below for our newsletter to receive exclusive business growth tips in your mailbox
Established in 2005, Shimbi Labs was born with the idea of developing simple, powerful yet affordable software for freelancers and small businesses to help them grow.
Shimbi Labs is the creator of
Budo - Simplest Website Builder
Ninjin - Easiest Online Store Builder
Shimbi Invoice - Online Invoicing made easy.