How to Find a Product to Sell Online That People Actually Want to Buy
Are you thinking about starting an ecommerce business? If so, one of the most important things you need to do is find a product to sell. But how do you find a product that people actually want to buy?
In this blog post, we'll discuss 12 strategies for finding trending products that customers want to buy. We'll also provide tips on how to do your research and avoid common pitfalls.
12 Strategies for Finding Trending Products
- Solve a customer pain point. What problems do your target customers face? Can you develop a product that solves one of these problems?
- Appeal to enthusiastic hobbyists. There are many people who are passionate about particular hobbies or interests. If you can develop a product that appeals to these hobbyists, you may be able to find a large and enthusiastic market for your product.
- Go with your personal passion. If you're passionate about a particular product or niche, you're more likely to be successful in selling that product. Your passion will show through in your marketing and customer service, and it will help you connect with your target audience.
- Consider your professional experience. If you have experience in a particular industry, you may be able to use your knowledge to identify products that are in high demand. You may also be able to develop relationships with suppliers or manufacturers that can help you bring your product to market.
- Capitalize on trends early. Pay attention to the latest trends in the market and see if there are any products that you can develop that capitalize on these trends. If you can get your product to market early, you may be able to capture a large share of the market before your competitors.
- Read customer reviews on existing products. What are customers saying about the products that are already on the market? What are their pain points? What features would they like to see in a new product? Reading customer reviews can give you valuable insights into what your target customers are looking for.
- Find product opportunities in keywords. Use keyword research tools to see what terms people are searching for when they're looking for products like yours. This can help you identify products that are in high demand and that have a good chance of being successful.
- Litmus test before you launch. Before you launch your product, it's a good idea to test it with a small group of potential customers. This will give you a chance to get feedback on your product and make sure that it's meeting the needs of your target audience.
- Browse what's trending on online marketplaces. Online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay can be a great source of inspiration for product ideas. See what products are trending on these marketplaces and see if there are any products that you can develop that capitalize on these trends.
- Research products with higher profit margins. Not all products are created equal. Some products have higher profit margins than others. If you're looking to make a profit from your ecommerce business, it's important to choose products with high profit margins.
- Start your search with related products. If you're not sure what product to sell, start by looking at related products. What products are complementary to the products that you're already selling? What products are trending in the same category? Looking at related products can give you some good ideas for new product opportunities.
- Always be on the lookout. The market is constantly changing, so it's important to be on the lookout for new product opportunities. Pay attention to the latest trends, read customer reviews, and keep an eye on your competitors. The more you stay up-to-date on the market, the more likely you are to find successful product ideas.
Tips for Doing Your Research
- Start by defining your target market. Who are you selling to? What are their needs and wants?
- Do your research online. There are a number of tools and resources that can help you research products and trends.
- Talk to potential customers. Get feedback from people who would be interested in your product.
- Test your ideas. Don't be afraid to test your ideas with a small group of potential customers before you launch your product.
Common Pitfalls to Avoid
- Not doing your research. This is the most common pitfall that ecommerce entrepreneurs make. Don't launch a product without doing your research and making sure that there is a market for it.
- Not targeting your market. Make sure that your product is targeted to a specific group of people. Don't try to sell your product to everyone.
- Not pricing your product correctly. Make sure that your product is priced competitively. You don't want to price your product too high or too low.
- Not marketing your product effectively. You need to let people know about your product. Don't just sit back and wait for people to find you.
Finding a product to sell online can be a challenge, but it's not impossible. By following the strategies in this blog post, you can increase your chances of finding a successful product idea and bringing it to market.
Here are some additional tips for finding a product to sell online:
- Use social media. Social media is a great way to get feedback from potential customers and to learn about trending products.
- Attend trade shows. Trade shows are a great way to meet potential suppliers and to learn about new products.
- Read industry publications. Industry publications can keep you up-to-date on the latest trends and on new products that are being launched.
The most important thing is to be persistent. Don't give up if you don't find a product to sell right away. Keep looking and keep researching. Eventually, you'll find a product that you're passionate about and that people want to buy.
Shimbi Growth Labs
The team that helps you grow your business!
Sign up below for our newsletter to receive exclusive business growth tips in your mailbox
Established in 2005, Shimbi Labs was born with the idea of developing simple, powerful yet affordable software for freelancers and small businesses to help them grow.
Shimbi Labs is the creator of
Budo - Simplest Website Builder
Ninjin - Easiest Online Store Builder
Shimbi Invoice - Online Invoicing made easy.